Monday, July 1, 2013

You don't choose the art path, the art path chooses you


A fellow artist and homey of mine hit me up recently asking me why I make art.  I simply responded that I am passionate about art and that's why I make it... As nice as a response that was, I felt there was way more to it. It was a question that I felt was too precious to be answered so easily. It's someone asking me why the fuck do I chose to do what I do? I can't just reply by saying it's because I like it, that's just as vague as a blank page. All night this question remained in the back of mind until I came to my own realization. 

Think about all of us people in this world as a whole, not all of us are artists. We've all had artistic experience in school, but not all of us carried on with these experiences with time.  Few of us have seen ourselves devoting our lives to being artists, no matter the outcome. And those people that have, are the chosen ones aka the artists.

I've concluded that we don't choose to do art, art chooses us. Art is a force and it looks down upon all humans coming into the world and it selects it's creative contestants into it's circle. After what I'd like to call "The Coloring Book" phase, it chooses us and knowingly leads us to our artistic tool. It makes the Graffiti writer infatuated with the art in the streets feel connected as opposed to the non-artist who would just see vandalism. It makes the photographer look outside and feel a view and visualize the landscape they want to capture as opposed to the regular human who sees that view every day and feels nothing. It makes the poet absorb all pain they feel, and project their sorrow into a harmony of words... same with musicians, sculptors, composers, bakers, you name it. You develop an artistic 6th sense that only you can feel. Just like love, you don't really choose what or who you wanna invest yourself into... it just naturally happens. That's when art chooses ya, the epic art bug.

As I wake up, I realize that the first thing on my mind is creating something, which makes sense because it is the last thing I am doing before I go to sleep. When the first thing you think about is art, I believe that is being passionate about something, and now I feel I've earned my right to use the word passionate. As an artist, you're highlighting your usual encounters and putting in your flavors, making your planet a better one. The art force got your back, it makes no mistakes either, trust it. 

So why do you make art? Because it won't leave you alone? To share your insanity with the planet? To liberate your mind? To leave your traces in the world after you perish? Or is it because you are simply passionate? Explore your answer. The art path has enriched my mind and has helped me find Sola, and Sola helped me find myself... if you ask me, I've succesfully made it to my path already. 

Sincerely,
A content Art force victim


Peace, love and immortal art foreva.